PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baby Food making 101

So since the twins were 6 months we have added solids into their diets, some they like and some they dont, but I have been making it all.  At first the thought of trying to make their food was a little daunting but after I started adding up the costs of jarred food and added in the fact that jarred food isn't fresh and has additives no matter what the kind of food.  So my mom purchased a great baby food cookbook called: Baby Love: Healthy, Easy, Delicious Meals for Your Baby and Toddler, you can find it here
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Love-Healthy-Delicious-Toddler/dp/0312621922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296681400&sr=8-1

I love this book, it spells everything out for you, now I knew I wanted to make a lot of food so I wasn't having to make it everyday, so I invested in a food processor and Gladware 4 oz containers that are freezer and dishwasher friendly, they were only 2.34 for 8 at Target.

Once I had everything in order I started. 

We started with sweet potatoes




It was so easy, pop the sweet potatoes and 8 oz of water in the oven for 60 min at 400 degrees, pull them out, let them cool off, spoon the flesh of the sweet potato, put into a food processor or blender, add up to 16 more oz of water depending on what thickness you are looking for, pour into freezeable containers or an ice cube tray and BAM your done!

Once I figured out how easy it was, I was hooked, I have now made 100's of ounces of baby food.  This book is awesome!

So far I have made:
Perfectly basic apples
Perfectly basic pears
Perfectly basic peaches
Perfectly basic mango
Banana Apple Pear
cinnamon apple oatmeal raisin
very blueberry and apple
apricot pear
perfectly basic carrot
perfectly basic butternut
perfectly basic sweet potato
sweet zucchini and carrot
creamy cauliflower
Alba's chicken soup (this one is so full of awesome veggies and protein for baby)
poached salmon with carrot(I am determined that while I may not like fish my kids might)
lentil soup

                                                 This is what my freezer now looks like


This book is great because it gives the age recommendation right next to the recipe so it is easy to see which recipe's your baby is ready to try.

I highly recommend this book!!

No comments: